PVC pipe is primarily used for conveying water and waste water. It is a durable product that can be welded using solvents, heat and o-rings. Different formulations are used for different applications. The one used in almost all home irrigation and plumbing is typically white and is designed for potable use. There is a specific interior type that can be used for hot and cold water. White PVC is also used for sanitation conveyance from the home to a respective disposal method (Septic or municipal) it also can be used for potable water, if you want to run three or four inch water pipe.
Advantages of plastic pipes:
– Plastic pipes are light in weight, tough, resistant to chemical attack and available in large lengths.
– They reduce the cost of handling, transportation and installation.
– Less number of joints facilitates the speed and reduces chances of leakage.
– They are rust resistant.
– These pipes have good elastic properties.
– Their adaptability to earth movements is superior.
– Smooth internal surface of the pipes offer less friction.
– Due to less friction it saves the energy in the conveyance of water.
Disadvantages of plastic pipes:
– Due to their non-decomposing property, plastic pipes are not installed in high temperature.
– They are easily cracked.
– At higher temperatures, the strength of plastic pipes reduces.
It estimated that many people want to know are PVC water supply pipe safe?
PVC/CPVC – rigid plastic pipes similar to PVC drain pipes but with thicker walls to deal with municipal water pressure, introduced around 1970. PVC should be used for cold water only, or venting. CPVC can be used for hot and cold potable water supply. Connections are made with primers and solvent cements as required by code.
Yes, they are safe.
Modern PVC should be fine, probably better than copper. There are many forms of PVC out there and yes some of them do contain harmful plasticizers, but these are used to make them softer (such as cling film, or glad wrap wherever you are from to wrap food in). Under heat and in contact with fatty foods like cheese these will migrate.
PVC piping however these days is just PVC.
Get a filter jug and just filter your drinking water, as there are much more contaminants which could enter your water before reaching the apartment and it tastes better too.
If you are still looking for trusted, licensed plumber – Mister Plumber in Toronto, Mississauga, Etobicoke, Scarborough, North York specializing sewer repair, upgrade waterline, water service upgrade, drain cleaning, backwater valve installation, lead pipe replacement, re-piping and emergency plumbing, Mister Plumber uses the latest technology to effectively troubleshoot and quickly repair any plumbing problem and offers a fast response and free estimates.