With homemade cleaning solutions, regular upkeep and self-inspection know-how, there’s little reason you can’t maintain your pipes and keep them running well on your own.
What a lot of at-home drain and plumbing care comes down to is prevention; regular inspections and proper drain treatment can go a long way in limiting clogs and avoiding pipe disasters.
For starters, never treat your drains or garbage disposal units as you would a trash bin. Starchy food products, cooking oils, paper products, animal bones and expandable goods are leading causes of kitchen drain clogs; dispose of contents such as these properly, and you can avoid most everyday kitchen drain buildup.
The best plumbing care occurs when homeowners stick to a consistent self-inspection schedule, and assess their water pressure and plumbing systems on a regular basis. Letting minor performance irregularities continue without care is one of the biggest mistakes you can make with your home plumbing fixtures.
Tools You’ll Need for Professional Grade Plumbing Care
For virtually any home care techniques, you’ll have to be sure you’re equipped for the tasks at hand. After all, how can you dismantle and clean out minor plumbing fixtures on your own, if you don’t have the right tools to do so? Attempting DIY drain cleaning without the best tools for the job can make matters much worse, and turn minor drain issues into pipe disasters.
For the best home plumbing care, try keeping all of the following handy:
- A standard plunger, and if available, a sink plunger (sink plungers provide a tighter seal and pressurization for removing sink clogs)
- Standard wrenches, basin wrenches, pliers and pipe tools
- Hacksaws, if necessary
- Metal filing tools
- Tube cutting tools
- A large bucket, for any water spillage that can (and likely will) occur, depending on your plumbing need
If possible, we also recommend purchasing a drain snake, or auger, from your local home improvement store. These tools are what professional plumbers typically use to grasp and remove stubborn clogs and residual debris. If you keep a drain snake handy, you will be able to handle most drain clogs without ever needing expert assistance.
Extra Tips for Home Plumbing Care
Below are some extra tips for keeping your home plumbing systems at peak performance, limit buildup and improve care for your pipes:
- Purchase and install drain covers or strainers in your bathroom sink, shower and bathtub. Hair buildup is a common clogging agent in bathroom plumbing systems, which can quickly become a hassle to remove. Strainers and drain covers ensure that minimal hair finds its way into your pipes.
- Never attempt flushing garbage, sanitary goods or regular paper products down your toilet, as these rarely dissolve and can easily result in frustrating, stubborn clogging.
- Frequently flush your drain fixtures with hot water, as this alone can remove minor debris from your pipes and preserve flow quality.
- If you’re experiencing poor water flow or pressure, the problem may not be your pipes, but your faucet aerator (the small piece at the tip of your faucet), which is used to prevent splashing and shape the water stream. To clean your aerator, all you have to do is unscrew it from the faucet body and scrub out residue with a small brush.
For Plumbing Emergencies, Don’t Wait to Call a Professional – 416 939 1530
No matter how well you care for your home plumbing or treat your drains, there are some cases where DIY treatment just isn’t going to cut it. Don’t let minor drainage or water pressure issues snowball into full-scale plumbing disasters; know and acknowledge when it’s time to call the pros for an expert assessment of your plumbing,
In Toronto, these professionals are the experienced plumbing technicians at Mister Plumber. Our years of experience in clearing drain pipes, restoring plumbing systems and renovating damaged pipes make us the area’s top provider of home plumbing services. If you can sense the imminent failure of your home plumbing systems, or feel uncomfortable taking on DIY care practices alone, don’t hesitate to contact us right away.
In many cases, major plumbing disasters can be entirely avoided with professional inspection; while you should always self-inspect your pipes for performance issues, we recommend having an expert evaluate your plumbing at least once per year. These pros have a trained eye for drain and plumbing issues, and can advise the most affordable, thorough plumbing solution for your system.
If you are still looking for trusted plumber, Mister Plumber in Toronto, Etobicoke, Scarborough, North York specializing sewer repair, upgrade waterline, water service upgrade, drain cleaning, backwater valve installation, lead pipe replacement, re-piping and emergency plumbing, Mister Plumber uses the latest technology to effectively troubleshoot and quickly repair any plumbing problem and offers a fast response and free estimates.