Now that you’ve had your blocked drain cleared or replaced there are some important things you need to know to help minimise the likelihood of it blocking up again. Here are some recommendations to maintaining your drains:
- If you are having renovations done on your property ensure they cover all exposed pipes so no debris falls down the pipes causing a blocked drain.
- Keep drains and sinks clear of hair – put it in the bin
- Don’t flush sanitary items, nappies or baby wipes down a drain
- Use sink strainers in the kitchen
- No fats, oils or food scraps should be washed down the drain
- Be careful of clip on toilet fresheners that can fall off and be flushed down the toilet
- And yes while children find it interesting to watch a toy disappear down a ‘waterfall’ of water, objects being flushed down the toilet can also cause blocked drains.
Did you know 75% of sewage overflows are a result of tree roots blocking drains? With tree roots growing about one and a half times the distance of the adult plants branches you can reduce the potential for blocked drains by planting trees as far away from your sewer lines as possible.
Mister Plumber specializing in Toronto, ON sewer repair, drain cleaning, and emergency plumbing, Mr. Plumber uses the latest technology to effectively troubleshoot and quickly repair any plumbing problem and offers a fast response and free estimates. Call us 416 939 1530 or fill the form for Online Free Estimate.