The most common issue that Toronto Plumbers are contacted for, unsurprisingly, is the dreaded clogged drain. Your home plumbing is as essential to the well being of your household as your arteries and veins are to your body. And just as the age-old adage goes for your health, it applies wholly to your Toronto home.
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Keeping your drains free from clogs start before a clog develops. Using these simple preventative measures can keep your home as clog free as humanly possible.
1. Use strainers and drain stops where possible. Keeping large chunks of food, debris, hair and other substances from going down the drain is the best way to ensure that your plumbing remains clog free.
2. Clean and maintain those strainers and drain stops regularly. Hair can become entangled beneath the strainer in your shower. Get into the habit of clearing them after each use.
3. Ensure that the only food items that are going down the disposer are disposer friendly items. Keep all expandable starches such as rice and pasta from your garbage disposal along with fibrous items such as corn husks and onion skins. Grease, oil and fats should not be disposed of in the garbage disposal either. These products will easily accumulate in your drain and when solidified, cause unsightly plumbing back ups.
4. Feminine Products – Take extra care to ensure that the items you are flushing are biodegradable and allowable to flush. Read the labels on the back of the items and double check that they can go down the toilet. If not, or when in doubt, you’re better off tossing them in the trash.
5. Make sure to instruct all household members to be wary of the possibility of drain clogs. Ensuring that children and other family members don’t throw things down the toilet or drains that should not be there is a necessary measure to ensure clog free plumbing.
Although the most careful preventative measures can help to ensure less problematic plumbing, no plan is ever fail safe and clogs can still occur. Should you find yourself with a backed up drain or a clogged sink, try the following methods.
1. Pour an equal mixture of baking soda and vinegar down your drain and let sit for a few hours before rinsing with hot water. The chemical reaction of these products may just be able to disintegrate what’s clogging your plumbing.
2. Make use of your home plunger. This common and effective tool can work on certain types of clogs. For sinks, you’ll want to ensure that the overflow is plugged prior to attempting to plunge the drain.
3. Chemical Products. Many at home chemical products are readily available to assist in drain clearing. Make sure to read the label and follow the instructions precisely when using chemicals in your home.
4. Check your traps. Plumbing traps in newer homes are often located just below the drain area under the sink. They are easily accessible and sometimes you can remove the clog through the opening in the trap. Make sure to place a bucket or other reservoir item below the pipe to catch any remaining fluids that may seep out.
5. Snake your drain. Plumbing snakes are useful tools that are available from your local home improvement store and are available in different lengths. Plumbing snakes are used to “snake” through your plumbing and remove any obtrusions that may be present further down your pipes causing clogs.
6. Call your local Toronto plumber. Always remember that not every situation is easily diagnosed by do-it-yourself home repair. When in doubt, call a professional. Just as you would call your local physician if something were ailing you, a licensed and professional plumber will be able to detect and repair your problem.
Though plumbing isn’t something that is readily seen, it is most definitely a crucial part of our everyday lives. Being cognizant of its purpose and use and the ways to prevent problematic issues is a great way to combat the dreaded clogged drain.
Mister Plumber in Toronto, ON specializing sewer repair, drain cleaning, re-piping and emergency plumbing, Mister Plumber uses the latest technology to effectively troubleshoot and quickly repair any plumbing problem and offers a fast response and free estimates. Call us 416 939 1530 or fill the form for Online Free Estimate.