There are many reasons for this.
- The plumber giving the estimate could just be inexperienced when it comes to giving quotes.
- He/she may only be techs and not experienced plumbers.
- May be just shyster looking to get paid and not actually planning on doing the job right.
However the most common is because the plumber that gave you an estimate may have been rushing and didn’t look to see if there is any possible “red herrings” that could slow down the job or stop it in it’s tracks all together.
Here is an example:
I had a home owner call me for an estimate on repairing his kitchen sink. He had galvanized 1 1/4 tubing and trap. The home owner wanted to change it over to plastic and replace his current sink baskets. I wrote out the estimate and began the work.
Upon loosening the nipple from the wall the galvanized nipple broke because it was old and rusted. That little 1 hour job took me over three hours to fix. Needless to say the home owner would only pay the estimated price and no more.
Instead of arguing and losing a client I choked on my pride and ate the cost.
I also learn to think ahead and look for those red herring that maybe lurking and add it to the estimate. Although it is impossible to see all the problems that could arise, a smart plumber will adjust his estimate to accommodate for them, just in case.
- Yes it will make the estimate a little higher. However, if you have an honest plumber, he/she will only charge for time and materials. That’s what I do.
FYI remember that smart home owner, he is still one of my best clients today.
I said all that to say this, it is extremely easy for a plumber to rip off a homeowner and overcharge them for work that didn’t really need to be done in the first place. The same goes for an auto mechanic except you are in the house and can over see the work being done instead of a waiting in an auto shops waiting area.
There are many unrepeatable plumbers out there but, there are a lot more honest and hard working one’s, you just have to do a little more research to find them.
So how can you be sure you are working with a plumber who is honest and knows what they are doing?
Here are a few tips you need to know before you choose a plumber for your particular job.
- first thing you need to do is check out how satisfied customers have been with a plumber’s work in the past. Always ask for references.
- Asking your friends is a good place to start. Many of them will be able to recommend plumbers that they like as well as letting you in on some plumbing horror stories.
- Do not go by who has the most advertisements or the biggest billboards in town.
5. Remodeling or renovating get as many bids as possible. If you find 100 plumbing contractors in your area call all of them and have them bid the job. Just remember the step above and get references.
If you use all of the steps above then you should easily find a reputable plumber to take care of most of your plumbing work that you will need.
If you are in need of skilled and expert plumber in Toronto, ON trust only Mister Plumber. We are provide quality plumbing services and have over 15 years of expertise. Call us 416 939 1530 or fill the form for Online Free Estimate.