When you’re having trouble with your sewer lines or piping, you’ve got to find the right Toronto plumber for your problem. But how do you know who’s got the knowledge and tools to fix your particular issue? Repair or replace? So many factors go into finding the right solution. First, educate yourself on the causes and fixes for your sewer problems! Pipes and sewer lines clog fairly easily, and your home can be susceptible at any time, and when they break down, you can be faced with a messy situation. Unfortunately, most sewer lines are located underground, making them extremely difficult to get to, and costly to repair or replace.
Common Causes of Sewer Backup
Sewer issues can become a huge burden, not only because of the backup itself, but because of the smell and inconvenience of repair or replacement that often accompanies it. So why does your sewer line clog or break down in the first place?
1. Foreign Objects
Foreign objects can get caught in the piping, obstructing the natural flow. Grease can also build up on the walls of the pipe and create the same effect.
2. Tree Roots: Over time, roots can grow into the sewer lines and cause clogs.
3. Pipe Misalignment: Shifting soil, frozen ground and foundation settling can cause pipes to shift, break and crack.
4. Bellied Pipes: Ground and soil conditions can cause pipes to sink, causing paper and waste to collect and block the flow.
5. Fully Collapsed Piping: Over time, your piping degenerates with age, and various objects can take a toll on your pipes, causing collapses in the line, restricting flow. These problems all occur underground, where it’s difficult to pinpoint until the problem makes its way into the house. Look for overgrown patches of grass in your yard, which could mean you’ve got a pipe leak.
So how do you know when to Repair or replace?
Repair your sewer pipe if it..
1. Is reasonably accessible
2. Is sized properly for the occupants of the home
3. Has a reasonable life expectancy after the cost of repair
Replace your sewer pipe if it…
1. Is undersized for the occupants living in the home
2. Is bellied or collapsed
3. Is deformed or deteriorated
4. Is beyond the life span of the existing pipe
With methods like leak detection, and trenchless sewer repair and replacement, dealing with these problems is more convenient then ever. To locate the leak, have plumber come to your home and use a leak detector or video inspection tools to pinpoint it. Once it’s located, opt for a non-invasive solution like trenchless. Instead of digging up your entire yard to deal with one problem area, trenchless technology allows the plumber to dig two small access points on either end of the pipe, allowing him to send a new pipe through the holes for repair and replacement. These techniques can save you hundreds!
Being informed is necessary when managing your sewer lines, but remember to call the professionals in for large jobs that involve plumbing! Many plumbing problems arise when homeowners take matters into their own hands. Now that you’re aware of the problems, their causes and ways to fix them, be sure to choose a plumber that meets the specific criteria for your needs!
Mister Plumber in Toronto, ON specializing sewer repair, drain cleaning, re-piping and emergency plumbing, Mister Plumber uses the latest technology to effectively troubleshoot and quickly repair any plumbing problem and offers a fast response and free estimates. Call us 416 939 1530 or fill the form for Online Free Estimate.