Water is essential to life. It also makes life at lot more comfortable when it is readily accessible. Consequently, if you are moving into a new home, you’ll need to know the ins and outs of its water plumbing system. To maximize your plumbing’s efficiency, and to ensure problems are promptly addressed, there are several plumbing issues you should make yourself familiar with.
Below are some of the major areas of your plumbing system and associated tips that can help to maintain your plumbing.
- Make sure everyone in your household is aware of the water shutoff valve locations and how they are to be used. Ask a plumber for a tour if you don’t know for yourself. Each shutoff valve is designed to cut the flow off to a single fixture, water-supply system branch or the entire home. Each shutoff valve should be labeled with a description. Also note turnoff instructions.
- The main shutoff valve should be tested a couple of times each year to make sure it is indeed working as it should.
- Have your home’s septic system regularly checked by a licensed professional.
- Inspect exposed pipes, hot water heaters and faucets for leaks. Remember, what appears to be a small leak can result in significant water loss. Ceilings and walls should periodically be checked for water damage. Any leaks require fast repair!
- The hot water heater should not have combustible or flammable materials located near it.
- To reduce fire risks and eliminate health hazards, have a HVAC service or a plumber check the venting of your hot water to ensure there is adequate ventilation and a proper draft.
- Don’t pour rendered-down fat or grease down the drain.
- Use screens on drains in the shower and bathtub to prevent hairs from clogging pipes.
- If you are using chemical drain cleaners, read the directions, follow instructions and take precautions.
- Don’t use drain cleaner on a drain that is completely clogged. Instead, call for help.
- Don’t flush things down the toilet that should not be flushed, such as disposable diapers, hair, paper towels, feminine products and more.
- Use extra caution when using a garbage disposal. Make sure the on and off switch is not located somewhere that it can accidentally be turned on and consider a batch-feed model if you have children in your home.
- Follow the garbage disposal’s operating manual and run a steady stream of water as you are using it.
- Check your water heater’s temperature, as it should be set between 120 and 140 degrees.
If you are still looking for trusted, licensed plumber – Mister Plumber in Toronto, Mississauga, Etobicoke, Scarborough, North York specializing sewer repair, upgrade waterline, water service upgrade, drain cleaning, backwater valve installation, lead pipe replacement, re-piping and emergency plumbing, Mister Plumber uses the latest technology to effectively troubleshoot and quickly repair any plumbing problem and offers a fast response and free estimates.