Do water leaks; bursting pipes; blocked sinks, drains and pipes; and leaking radiators sound like a home filled with terrorizing properties? Most would agree that those detrimental factors of home ownership do exist. However, in addition to having the handyman phone number, the novice homeowner should have a basic understanding of what kind of plumbing hazards could become apparent with haste.
In reference to home improvement reality, emergency plumbing accidents may be caused due to inefficient installations, faulty materials, or unforeseen human negligence. However, it is always recommended to hire a certified plumbing professional to address most plumbing issues and especially those midnight-call emergencies.
Leaky faucets are the common nuisances related to a plumbing emergency in the home. The practical fix-it all relates to the type of faucet. Some faucets are equipped with cartridges or ball faucets. Other faucet types are furnished with a compression faucet valve. However, both faucet types may be effectively repaired by utilizing the Allen wrench. Ensure to use a repair manual (call the 24-hour plumber).
One of the worst interior plumbing hazards involves the restrooms. Clogged toilets will happen from time to time. Rule of thumb: NEVER attempt flush any objects that are not required to arrive to the septic with swift haste.
Urgent toilet repairs: Unclog the toilet
Clogged toilets are repairable if you take your time. If the toilet bowl is full, carefully empty out half of the water using a container that is equipped with a secure handle. And if the bowl happens to be empty, add water to the bowl until it is bowl is half full.
Use the force cup plunger. However, if the plunger is not suffice after repeated attempts, use the plumber’s auger (plumber’s snake). Use the auger by pushing it down the drain of the toilet until hitting the obstacle causing the blockage. Ultimately, if those attempts do not clear the clog, contact the emergency plumber.
Tip: Definitely try not to use the plunger for the kitchen sink and the bathroom toilet
If you live in an area that is prone to flooding, or has a poor site drainage, you can consider installing a basement sump pump. In a case of a light outage, homeowners opt for water powered or battery backup sump pumps that take over all pumping duties, until the emergency plumbing maintainers are available for assistance.
Plumber’s Emergency Kit
– A five gallon bucket to catch the water.
– A forced cup and a regular plunger; each plunger has its own specific use for applying extra unclogging power.
– Wrenches: A pair of medium-sized slip joint pliers and an adjustable wrench
– A multi-bit screwdriver
– Duct tape and Teflon tape seal leaks (temporary fixes) until the certified plumber makes it to the scene.
– Heavy duty paper towels or rags absorbing the spread of spills and leaks
– In case of a leak always know where the main water shut-off valve is located
– Know how to turn off the water heater and if it’s a gas water heater, turn the switch to the “pilot” position.
– Isolation valves located at each fixture will stop the flow of water to a certain location. This is important to know in order to enable water to continue to service the house, while isolating the path of water that geared towards a wasteful. Also, ensure to check the isolation valves twice a year for functionality.
– Use duct tape or pipe sealing tape to pull together a crack in a pipe, reducing the leak as a temporary solution.
– When unclogging a kitchen sink, use a second plunger to cover the other drain to get the most force to remove the clog.
– Allen wrenches are useful for working the faucets.
If you are still looking for trusted plumber, Mister Plumber in Toronto, Etobicoke, Scarborough, North York specializing sewer repair, upgrade waterline, water service upgrade, drain cleaning, backwater valve installation, lead pipe replacement, re-piping and emergency plumbing, Mister Plumber uses the latest technology to effectively troubleshoot and quickly repair any plumbing problem and offers a fast response and free estimates.