Faucets are an inseparable part of any home and they are put to use almost every single day. Thus keeping the faucets in a working condition is important. Numerous issues can plague faucets. Sometimes they leak while at others they might make a noise.
In some cases, it might be possible to repair or fix them but at times it may become imperative for you to replace them altogether. Faucet repair becomes an important part of bathroom maintenance. A dripping faucet is one of the most common plumbing problems and one of the easiest to fix as well. Despite this, many people end up ignoring it and the issue only worsens over a period of time.
The Cost Factor
This also means additional costs and regular maintenance can resolve issues such as these. Apart from the money that you will have to spend on a new faucet, keep in mind that when you leave a leaky faucet unattended, you also end up wasting money in water. The other aspect is that water that any waste from a hot-water faucet will add to costs and you also pay for heating up water before it leaks into a drain.
Steps for Replacing a Faucet
Generally, a water faucet can be fixed simply by replacing the washer or repairing the seat. You have to follow some basic steps, regardless of which type of faucet needs to be fixed:
- Turn-off the water supply and remove the faucet handle that is held to the main section of the faucet. This is held in place with a small screw and might have a plastic button or disc that has to be unsnapped.
- Now remove the handle and take a look at the faucet assembly. Use an adjustable wrench to remove the packing nut. Now twist out the spindle or the stern.
- Remove the screw that holds the washer. You can use a penetrating oil to loosen the nut if required. Examine the stem and the screw and replace it if necessary.
- Replace the old washer with one of the exact specifications Hot water faucets need special washers and the ones that are used for cold water faucets will tend to get over-expanded and will not suit the purpose.
- Now fasten the new washer to the faucet stem and reinstall the entire assembly in the reverse-order that you removed it in.
- Reinstall the handle and then replace the disc or the button. Turn-on the water supply and then check the faucet for leaks.
If you are unable to fix the faucet yourself, call in a plumber and have it replaced. You should also check if there are any other leaky faucets in any of the other bathrooms and have them fixed as well.
Call Mister Plumber for any kind of Bathroom Maintenance. They will help you with fixing leaky faucets as well.
Looking for plumbers? Mister Plumber in Toronto, Etobicoke, Scarborough, North York specializing sewer repair, upgrade waterline, lead pipe replacement, water service upgrade, drain cleaning, backwater valve installation, lead pipe replacement, re-piping and emergency plumbing, Mister Plumber uses the latest technology to effectively troubleshoot and quickly repair any plumbing problem and offers a fast response and free estimates. Call us 416 939 1530 or fill the form for Online Free Estimate.