Imagine coming home from a lovely vacation…only to find water pouring into your house via the walls. It can all seem very overwhelming at first, so how do you decide whether to repair the broken pipe or replace the entire system? There are some sensible guidelines to follow when assessing whether you need a Toronto Ontario water main replacement or a water main repair.
Before we discuss your water main repairs, it’s a good idea to discuss the various reasons why water mains break in the first place. Here are the five most common causes of a water break:
- Age: after 50 years, your water main can cease to be useful. If your pipes are getting old, it’s best to forgo the repair and go for a full London Ontario water main replacement.
- Neglect: it’s easy to forget about your pipes since you can’t see them, but your water system needs regular visual inspection, flushing, and lining. Often by doing these things, you can catch a breakage before it becomes a significant problem.
- Fluctuating temperatures: London can get extreme temperatures throughout the year that makes the ground expand and contract. This places added pressure on water mains, causing them to break.
- Construction: sometimes ground work can strike and split water mains.
- Heavy traffic: this sends vibrations underground, stressing the pipes to the point of bursting. Just because this generally happens in the street, it doesn’t mean it can’t affect you and your home.
Age of the System
As earlier stated, the lifespan of a water main is 50 years. On top of that, if your system is made out of galvanized or lead pipes, it is at least 60 years old. In those situations, forget repairing and proceed with a water main replacement. Another thing to keep in mind is that even if your system is not quite 50 years old, metal becomes brittle as it ages. Therefore, replacement is usually a smart option as a proactive measure.
Mister Plumber specializing in Toronto, ON sewer repair, drain cleaning, re-piping and emergency plumbing, Mister Plumber uses the latest technology to effectively troubleshoot and quickly repair any plumbing problem and offers a fast response and free estimates. Call us 416 939 1530 or fill the form for Online Free Estimate.
Water and Sewer Mains
Water Lines and Sewers
Clean water rushing unexpectedly into your home is overwhelming and if it’s foul water it’s even more devastating. Two plumbing features connect your house to the City system – the incoming water line and the outgoing sewer wastewater line. As both systems are pipes, they share many common problems: breakage, deterioration through age or compromise by external forces like freeze-thaw, vibration, tree roots or construction. Mister Plumber is the Toronto Area expert to call for problems arising in either of these essential services.
Clearly, broken incoming water pipes need to be repaired or replaced to avoid interior or exterior flooding. Other reasons to replace a water line include greater inflow and pre-emptive replacement to avoid failure. Generally speaking a water main lasts for 50 years and galvanized or lead pipes are even older. Replacement by Mister Plumber is the best proactive solution to maintain the quality and safety of your interior water system.
When it comes to sewage, homeowners may confront an issue with breakage, size or clogging- all with unfortunate results. A horizontal drain line or lateral connects the house to the outdoor portion of the sewer line and then eventually to the municipal sewer system or a septic system. While most homeowners never have to worry about this important drainage system, there are always a few unlucky souls who are forced to deal with a main sewer line maintenance or replacement issue.
Broken sewer pipes can occur through improper joints, persistent vibration, pressure from tree roots, and so on. Clogs prevent the passage of waste and can develop from inappropriate objects, oil and grease congealing, and line obstructions like the notorious tree roots or collapsed pipes. Finally, some sewer lines just aren’t big enough to handle all of the increased discharge from modern numbers of showers, toilets, washing machines, and sinks. The end result: repair or replacement by Mister Plumber is needed.